Sunday, April 5, 2009

Voice

A friend commented on her learning to "find her voice" while writing for her blog. It makes me think about how we, as artists, express ourselves through words when we are so used to doing it in images. Certainly I made it through school and can do the basics of writing. But it is a strange world to be in- this blogging world- where images abound but the expression of self is just as important through word.  I rely on my skills as a visual artist to communicate. Perhaps the visual images give me something of a crutch, a comfortable place where I am confident with my abilities and in a safe range. 

Drawing comes easily to me- words make me work. 

Writing seems like a zipper that can slide down without my realizing it and expose a bit too much. Brave new world of expression for me...living out loud in excited, emotional, crazy mixed-up words. Looking for my voice, wondering if it always coexists with image and color. Is it possible to extricate the words from the visuals in my mind and allow them to grow on their own? Would they even be the same if I did not dream them in color?

No comments: