Tuesday, May 24, 2011

SURTEX 2011


I returned last week from the Surtex Show at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City. My agent had a booth there and I went for meetings with current and potential clients. I exhibited for three years on my own at Surtex before joining with my agent and I still have quite a few memories of the thrill, nervousness, anxiousness and stress of doing a show. It requires a lot of new work, creating displays and banners, marketing, getting your display materials TO the show, set up, and many many days and weeks of designing and analyzing what you are presenting, and then three high-adrenaline days of hoping it's all good and people love your work. When the show is busy, you feel like you are flying and love meeting manufacturers...when it has it's slow moments you wonder why, why, why did you come and do this and question the very crazy career path you've chosen.  Such a roller coaster ride. It's a very different experience for me when my agent has a booth and I come to the show but I am not singularly responsible for the booth and manning it. I do miss having a booth that is all mine and a bigger showing of my lines and styles. But for the first time at Surtex I actually arrived without being sleep-deprived for the week prior and a result, enjoying the time more.  After meetings I wanted to attend, I was able to see the National Stationery Show and the International Contemporary Furniture Fair, both of which are happening at the Javits Center at the same time and are lovely and inspirational! 

Here, with the charming Phyllis Dobbs, at the Jewel Branding booth. Phyllis and I roomed together in Manhattan and walked the show together. It's great to see the show with another artist and see what they notice first and like.  It's the first time we've roomed together and with hotel rooms the size of tiny postage stamps, that is a lot of close together time. It was fun and I think she actually survived my snoring...
Phyllis and myself

The Opening Night Party for Surtex was at Battery Park and a good chance to relax, eat, drink, be merry and connect with new and old friends. We did notice the Stationery Show people got the indoors area and the artists were sent to the covered tent outside... hmmmmm....oh well, more scenic views of the park for us! I about died when I saw a rat run across the sidewalk that was the size of a small cat. Oh, New York. That rat's home is probably larger than my hotel room.

I loved getting to know Corinna Buchholz of Piddix and Erin Sarpa and Ilene Guy of Simon and Kabuki more over cocktails. And Amy Medhurst, the Licensing Manager Goddess for Mary Engelbreit always makes me laugh so hard I want to pee my pants!

Corinna, Robin, Phyllis, Erin and Ilene

Robin and Amy

1 comment:

Phyllis Dobbs said...

Great writeup Robin!! And love the pictures! I cropped the one on my blog because I didn't realize the baby doll top made me look like I ate a whole watermelon. It was such fun rooming with you and all our conversations, aided with our bottles of wine. And your snoring was not bad at all!